Little Library Maintenance Technician
We are building a team of volunteers to help maintain our Little Free Libraries! This is important work that will directly improve access to books for hundreds of children here in the Bay Area. We ask that volunteers make a 6 month commitment when signing up for one of these roles. Each role can be taken on by a small group, such as a family, school club, scout troop, or other organization. It is important that at least one member of the group can provide transportation, as driving is part of the job.
We are looking for two special people (or teams of people) who can help to maintain our popular Little Free Libraries in tip-top working order. Our LFLs are made out of wood and have plexiglass windows. Occasionally the LFL has a door that falls off the hinge (or is on the brink of falling off), has broken plexiglass, or needs a new paint job.
- When you receive a report that there is a problem with a LFL, you would be responsible to inspect and make repairs.
- You would need to source and provide materials. If necessary we could provide materials that you can pick up from us in Palo Alto, or you could receive reimbursements for costs from Access Books Bay Area.
- You will need to have your own transportation and tools.
- This will be an on-call volunteer position, but repairs can be made on your own schedule.
Available Assignments: (6 month commitment requested):
- Peninsula / South Bay (Daly City to Campbell, not including San Jose) – Technician for 11 LFLs
- San Jose – Technician for 21 LFLs
When: On your own time, ~ 5 hrs/month
When schools were closed during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, Access Books Bay Area provided 32 schools with Little Free Library (“LFLs”) book lending boxes and a stock of books so children living in under-resourced communities could still have access to pleasure reading books. Even though schools have now reopened and on school days most students have access to their school libraries, we have found that the children still are enjoying the 24/7 access to pleasure reading books that the Little Free Libraries provide, often taking the books home and loving them so much they keep them to build their own libraries.